Thursday 24 July 2014

Happy Outfit: Expecto Patronum

Here I am again with another outfit post!

I think this dress reflects exactly what I'm trying to convey with my outfits.
When I finally wanted to overcome my depression and anxieties I promised myself that everything I wear must make me happy. It helps tremendously and over time my closet has filled itself with bright prints and pretty dresses. When Black Milk Clothing came out with this dress, I just had to have it.



If you don't like Harry Potter or haven't seen the movies or read the books, you might not know the print, so I'll explain the hidden meaning to you.
Before J. K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter she was a single mom without money or a job and she was heavily depressed. When Harry Potter started to develop she made a personification of her depression; creatures called Dementors, who suck out all your warmth and happiness. To counter this, she invented the Patronus Charm, which is a spell that creates the form of an animal (to everyone his own; Harry Potter for instance, has a stag Patronus), and which is created out of the happiest memory you possess. Well, that's the print on my dress. The Patronus acts as a shield against the dementor.



As a Potter fan, this logically means that this dress, covered in Patronuses, or more clearer, covered in the happiest memories I possess, acts as a shield against my depressions and anxieties. This might be sounding weird but that's how it feels like to me! And I feel like I can conquer the world in this dress. This dress is made out of pure happiness.


Here I'm styling it with a plain black shirt underneath, Sporty Stripes Hosiery (also by Black Milk Clothing), a vintage metal belt, a white petticoat (Starline Lingerie) and navy sailor pumps by Funtasma. I can't remember where I got the hairbow from.


I'm wearing Lime Crime and Mac eyeshadows and Sleek Matte Me lipstick in Party Pink. The necklace was made by me when I was a kid. I found it again recently.


As Dumbledore said: Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Expecto Patronum!

1 comment: