Thursday 1 May 2014

Recipe: Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers with Quinoa

Kicking off with one of my favorite recipes.
Due to food intolerances I am a vegetarian. Since I am not quite sure yet of everything I am intolerant to I just try to eat as healthy as possible. I love to experiment with vegetarian and vegan food. Eating healthy makes me feel better and feeling better in my body makes me happy about myself.

It takes a little while to make this, but the result is definitely worth it!
I often make more of the stuffing and put it in the fridge so I can eat it for lunch the following day as I can't really get enough of it. It's very easy to alter this too. I've made it for my family recently, using brown rice instead of quinoa, which was delicious as well.

It is vegan, lactose and gluten free.


Stuffed Bell Peppers with Quinoa 

Ingredients for 4:

4 large red bell peppers
2 cups of uncooked quinoa (I am using a mix of white, black and red quinoa)
1/2 zucchini
1 red onion
2 large tomatoes
100ml coconut milk
1 tblsp hemp seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp yellow curry powder
olive oil
some fresh herbs like oregano, rosemary and thyme.
+ you can add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour. :)

Cook the quinoa for 8-10 minutes in a seperate pan. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest. Chop the onion, zucchini and tomatoes into small pieces and lightly fry the onion in a frying pan with some olive oil. Then add the zucchinis, fry them with the onions and add the tomatoes and the coconut milk. Spice the mixture up with the herbs and spices and add the hemp seeds. Turn off the fire, add the quinoa to the mixture. Heat up your oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Take the bell peppers, cut out the top and remove inside bit with the seeds. Stuff the bell peppers with the quinoa mixture, put on the tops, wrap them in tin foil and  put them in the oven for an hour.


And dinner is served! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment